Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Good Day Includes Scones!




It's been a good day. I made fresh scones this morning. Took my sweeties to school. Had a great discussion with my mom's bible study group. Then we went to lunch because 2 hours is really not enough time to chat when girls get together! After that, I had a great phone conversation with my friend, Kesley. (Kelsey and her husband own Quietude Quilts.) We talked about business, life, and fabric!:) Then my sister called! A day like today makes me so thankful for friends and family!

Have you ever made scones? These are easy and delicious. It's an old Southern Living recipe.

Cranberry-Orange Scones
2 c. flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp.salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. grated orange peel
1/2 c. butter, softened, cut up
2/3 c. buttermilk *
1 c. dried cranberries
1 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. sugar


Combine first 6 ingredients; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add buttermilk and dried cranberries, stirring just until moistened. *my secret for buttermilk. I put 1 Tbsp. & 1 tsp. white vinegar in a 2/3 c. cup and fill the rest with regular milk. It will turn into buttermilk!

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5 or 6 times. Pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges, and place 1 inch apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with milk, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until scones are golden brown.
Wish I could invite you all over for tea and scones! Hope you had a happy day too!
xoxo Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. You're making me hungry! That's my mother-in-law's secret, too! I use it for banana bread since I never have buttermilk on hand. I do buy it for my Irish Soda Bread, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like yesterday was a great day Elizabeth and those scones look yummy!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scones and will save this recipe. Where I used to live I used to get something called a power scone. It was made of whole wheat, flax, almonds, raisins, craisins and I loved it so much. I tried to duplicate it on my own and have never been successful. Maybe I'll find a recipe one of these days. Scones do sound like a lovely way to start your day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to say hello! Instead of sending emails, I always leave replies in the comment section. So if you have a question, check back here for the answer:)
It may take a moment for your comment to appear on the blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...