Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ready, Get Set, Go! Challenge



Happy Wednesday! 

I hope you all will join me in a little challenge. 

First, you need a few background details.
Last Fall, I started feeling bad. Very bad. Shortness of breath, lack of energy. I would walk up one flight of stairs and be out of breath. (And I'm the woman who usually bounds up stairs two at a time.) It took every ounce of energy I had to get my kids off to school, then I would sleep most of the day and drag myself out of bed to go get them in the afternoon. I felt like a terrible mom. I knew something was wrong. After a few months of doctors appointments and tests, I found out I have asthma. I was shocked. Completely shocked.

10 months later...
I am thankful for good asthma meds (and dear friends and family members who deal with asthma and answered a zillion questions for me!). It took a long time, but I feel like myself again. I really want to get back into running.  You can see here how much I enjoy it. I'm starting out with baby steps. Walking a little bit each day. This is were the challenge comes in. Would you join me in taking a little time for yourself each week? Walk. Run. Swim. Bike. Play catch with your dog! Take a few moments to get outside and move. 

Whether this is a first step for you or something you already do on a daily basis, please join me! Come back sometime soon to leave a comment and let us know what you are doing! Or write your own "Ready, Get Set, Go" post and leave a link so we can find you.  (There are no rules or regulations to join the challenge. We will be proud of each step we take... or tennis ball we hit over the net... or set of stairs we take instead of the elevator.) I plan to write a short post each Thursday to keep you updated !

Today, I walked with my Buddy

I'll be your cheerleader if you will be mine! 
Ready, Get Set, Go!

xoxo Elizabeth
p.s. It was hard for me to post this. I usually keep things like this to myself. I hope you don't mind me sharing so much.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! You'll have to let me know when you are ready for a race...would love to run with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, thanks for sharing your story and I'm so glad you are on the road to running again. You are one of the amazing runners who inspired me to get moving! (Today I posted about my 3rd 5K http://www.maidenjane.blogspot.com/2012/08/thoughts-on-life-run-jan-run.html )

    I plan to keep moving - something that's very hard to do through the winter months in NE Ohio. I love to bike and cross-country ski as well. But when it gets chilly and gloomy and there is no snow....that's a tough stretch. Anyway, you still are my inspiration and I can't wait to share my little invention made in honor of you! As soon as the kids are back at college and school I'll be ready!

    So glad you are feeling more yourself, too. There is nothing worse than not feeling well and not knowing what is going on. My husband faced that for over a year - quite a number of years ago. At least with a diagnosis and meds you can move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am honoured that you have shared this with us Elizabeth and so very glad to hear that you have everything under control and you are back to feeling well again. You are such a lovely person I don't like thinking of you feeling so ill. Take good care of yourself!

    I need to get myself moving, feeling a bit sluggish right now. Maybe I can learn to exercise more alongside learning to cook better!!! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Elizabeth! I'm so sorry you suffered with this so long! Gosh, we so need to catch up...so much to share.

    Anyway, I am thrilled to hear you are on the up-and-up! Taking time each day to actively and intentionally play is so very, very important on so many levels. I'm totally with ya, girlfriend! Rock on! :-)

    Hugs,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your health problems, but so bad you're "getting back". I've been seriously lacking exercise in my life for way too long. I started walking, not sure it will ever get to running. I can't get out there daily, but I too hope to keep it up, even in winter. We have lots of steep hills here and I started walking down them and have progressed to doubling the distance, walking up the hills at a good clip. There is a beautiful park across the highway, I'm hoping someday to make it over there, and walk through it.

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, thank you for being so transparent in this post and for sharing both your struggle and your positive outlook on things! What an inspiring challenge too. I am trying, as I shared in my post today, to make some time everyday for timelessness. I am inspired by your commitment to share every Thursday about how things are going for you. I may have to do the same! :-)
    Thanks again for sharing this lovely post! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to say hello! Instead of sending emails, I always leave replies in the comment section. So if you have a question, check back here for the answer:)
It may take a moment for your comment to appear on the blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...