|My new Express tee! I will wear it all summer long!|
1. If that white shirt is so thin that you can see straight through it, Leave It At The Store. Paper thin tissue shirts are comfy. But if you buy one in white, you will pull it out of your closet a zillion times and only wear it under sweaters.
Now, if you find one in pastels or brights and you adore it, snap it up!
2. If your sales associate is a guy, do not let him talk you into the jeans. I don't care how cute he is and how many times he tells you that you look amazing. If you were having doubts as soon as you zipped them up, Leave Them At The Store!
3. The little black dress is fabulous for a reason. It hides so many figure flaws. Trust me. The older I get, the more I understand. Try on two colors in the exact same dress. You will look svelte in the black one. It will be your go-to item when you need more than jeans and a tee.
4. Shoes. Do not even think about getting a heel that is not sturdy. Okay, I know this sounds like something your grandmother would say. But sweet grandmom is just trying to save us the embarrassment of walking on skinny heels that make us look like we are playing dress up. And you will have more fun in comfy shoes... I promise!
5. Trends. Trendy clothes are fun, but only buy the items that look great on you. Let's talk about chevron. I adore this pattern, I really do. But when I put on a dress covered in chevron and look in the mirror, bold stripes are all I see. Are You Wearing It or Is It Wearing You? Be honest with yourself. Some gals look great in chevron. I am not one of them.
Now, a little chevron bag with my black dress? Perfect!
6. Take a friend with you. Someone who has great style and can help you pull together an outfit. She may be able to encourage you to try a new scarf or layer some items that you would not normally consider. A little push may be all you need to rethink the way you wear many of the items you already own. Make sure she knows you well enough to understand what you are comfortable wearing.
7. If you don't LOVE it in the store, don't bring it home to your closet. How many times have you looked in the dressing room mirror and thought, "It will do."? Honey, Leave It At The Store. If it does not make you feel fantastic, it is not right for you.
I am writing this post after shopping for my upcoming College Girl's Getaway! I seem to repeat the same mistakes when buying clothes and I think these tips will help me make better choices in the future.
Do you have a great tip you would like to share? Please leave a comment! We can all learn from each other.
Hope you all have a very happy weekend!